Terra Creta's cornerstone to success is its ongoing commitment to unwavering quality. The only efficient way to consistently produce olive oil of the highest quality is by implementing a holistic approach. This is what Terra Creta calls Total Quality. As a vertically organized company we oversee every aspect of production, from farming and olive milling to bottling and exports. Complying with international quality standards and establishing our own rigorous internal standards and procedures is our way of ensuring pure, wholesome and delicious products are always supplied to our customers.
This is the only way we produce our authentic Cretan olive oil - the source of our pride.
Our Total Quality system exceeds the minimum requirements of national, European Union and international standards. We have established innovative procedures that help us achieve and maintain our extraordinary quality. Our goal is to produce the highest quality products nature can provide, improving the health and wellbeing of people the world over.
Terra Creta’s cornerstone of quality is based on four fundamentals:
- Laboratory Analysis - It is essential to verify that every batch of our olive oil complies with International Standards in the “Extra Virgin” category and that every single element has significantly lower readings than the established minimum limit.
- Organoleptic Evaluation - Every batch of olive oil must pass a “sensory evaluation” with a positive assessment and must be devoid of imperfections.
- Consumer Safety – By implementing our stringent control procedures, we are able to analyze every batch for pesticides, heavy metals, plasticizers and other detectable contaminants, thus ensuring the highest consumer safety results available.
- Nutritional Elements - At Terra Creta, we take great care to maintain and protect health-promoting micronutrients such as vitamin E and the powerful antioxidants in every drop of our precious olive oil.
The Traceability Tree
In 2006, Terra Creta launched its online traceability system for our consumers. This allows customers to enter the lot number printed on each bottle into an online system at www.terracreta.gr in order to trace the production details of each product, including full laboratory analysis and satellite images of the exact fields from which their olive oil originated. When a farmer delivers a batch of olives to our mill, he is given a bar code, which is entered into the online system and traces his olives through the production process. The online system traces this oil as it is stored, bottled and shipped all over the world.
All production phases are controlled by a rigorous and strict quality system, which is based on HACCP principles (Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Points).
- Agronomy is the science and technology of producing and using plants for food, fuel, fiber, and reclamation. Our farmers follow agronomic guidelines and all actions are recorded in a "farming diary". That way we are sure that no unauthorized chemicals are used and that all applications are according to the highest standards of safety. This is confirmed by chemical analysis of the olives, the produced oil and by audits throughout the year.
- The Terra Creta mill and bottling plant are certified for oil production and we pride ourselves on being a plasticizer-free factory. A plasticizer is a substance (typically a solvent) added to a synthetic resin to promote plasticity, flexibility and reduce brittleness. In many factories around the world, plasticizers can be found in plastic tubes and equipment; however, medical research has shown plasticizers to be highly carcinogenic. No plastic materials ever come in contact with Terra Creta’s olive oil as it could contaminate the oil. We recommend to our consumers that they never purchase olive oil supplied in plastic containers.
Our oil is also tested to be free from
- Heavy Metals
- PAH (Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons) that traces environmental contamination from combustion engines, i.e. Cars)
- Halogenic Solvents